[squeak-dev] Call for Donation | Squeak Needs Your Support

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jun 29 10:59:17 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel, hi all,

thank you for the call! This seems to be an important issue and it would really be a pity if such a great project failed because of something as mundane as money.

> What is needed?

Could you maybe elaborate further on *how much* will actually be needed in total?

I do not intend to mistrust anyone, but I think that some people might be more motivated to donate if there was more transparency regarding the actual or planned spendings as well as the received donations. No fancy dashboard required, but a few rough numbers once per year would be great.
Apparently, you can get a simple Hetzner server for up to $600/year - so for what do we need multiple thousands of dollars each year?
Will the amount of donations have a direct impact on the time my image needs to update etc.? And could there be some room for significant financial optimizations, for instance in the Monticello infrastructure? :-)

> Fortunately, our low-cost target, Hetzner, looks very promising to be donation-backed for the time to come.

For clarification: Does Hetzner provide a similar no-cost support option to Rackspace or are you talking about an extrapolation of the donations that squeak.org has received in the past? :-)

Best,
Christoph