[squeak-dev] Image stops responding Form>>copyWithColorsReducedTo:

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Jun 30 07:10:54 UTC 2022

Hi Karl --

> It seems to be this that causes the problem when depth is 32 bits.

Yes, 32-bit depth forms are not meant to have a color map. See class comment in ColorForm.

> This doIt will cause same problem from a workspace:
> (1 to: (1 bitShift:32)) collect:[:i | i = 100]

Because it will try to allocate about 35 GiB of memory. See my previous answer.

> We should not use this for bit depth > 16 as it will cause problems

Maybe we should move the algorithm #copyWithColorsReducedTo: from Form (32-bit depth) down to ColorForm (up to 16-bit depth).

Best,
Marcel
It seems to be this that causes the problem when depth is 32 bits.

Form >> #copyWithColorsReducedTo:

colorMap := (1 to: (1 bitShift: depth)) collect:

This doIt will cause same problem from a workspace:

(1 to: (1 bitShift:32)) collect:[:i | i = 100]

We should not use this for bit depth > 16 as it will cause problems

Best,
Karl