[squeak-dev] font huge or tiny, how to make it just right?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Mar 7 07:17:07 UTC 2022

Hi Lauren --

> It isn't clear that you _must_ use the Adjust x button to get rid of aliasing. Wouldn't it make more sense to make that the default?

You don't have to adjust the glyph scale. You can also just increase the point size or use a display with higher PPI. :-) For Squeak's default "Bitstream Vera Sans" I added a "For Squeak" variant that has 1.056 extra glyph scale, which looks okay at 10.5pt (96 PPI / 100%).

You only have to adjust the glyph scale if the 0.5pt steps in fonts are not fine-grained enough for your setup. With which values are you experimenting in your setup?

Best,
Marcel
Am 05.03.2022 01:09:25 schrieb Lauren Pullen <drurowin at gmail.com>:
Hi Marcel,

On 3/2/22 07:03, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Lauren --
>
> There is a text-input field in the point-size list where you can enter any new point size. You can also try an arbitrary scaling factor like this: "Display uiScaleFactor: 1.1"
Sorry for the noise... error between keyboard and chair; I saw the note
about the pre-rendered fonts in About Squeak -> Image Fonts. Maybe we
should pop up a notice when the user tries to accept an arbitrary point
size on the pre-rendered fonts?

The Font Importer is a bit difficult to use. It isn't clear that you