[squeak-dev] font huge or tiny, how to make it just right?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Mar 18 11:32:04 UTC 2022

Hi Lauren --

I will definitely take another look at this. I presume that you work on macOS? Do you have a Retina display? We are working on fixing that pixel-scale-up issue in the VM. Then you could work at "200%" and see sharper fonts by just using more pixels for each glyph.

Besides "adjust x", I might have an idea to actually compute an extra-glyph-scale factor that is able to just make it "sharper" ... maybe using the glyph for "E" and then aligning font measures with pixel measures. Might work. Would be different for each point size, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing! And sorry for any inconvenience.

Best,
Marcel
Am 10.03.2022 20:20:34 schrieb Lauren Pullen <drurowin at gmail.com>:
Hi Marcel,

On 3/7/22 07:17, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> You don't have to adjust the glyph scale. You can also just increase the point size or use a display with higher PPI. :-) For Squeak's default "Bitstream Vera Sans" I added a "For Squeak" variant that has 1.056 extra glyph scale, which looks okay at 10.5pt (96 PPI / 100%).
>
> You only have to adjust the glyph scale if the 0.5pt steps in fonts are not fine-grained enough for your setup. With which values are you experimenting in your setup?
On mine, the default glyph scale results in unreadable glyphs at 10.5pt.
They're technically readable, but appear blurry or aliased and cause
vision strain. See the two attached images for without and with glyph
scale applied for an example. Scaled is crisp, while unscaled has a
light grey drop shadow from aliasing.