[squeak-dev] Review Request: packageSelfExtensions.1.cs

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Fri Mar 25 17:41:28 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:06 AM <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>
wrote:

> *=============== Summary ===============*
>
> Change Set:        packageSelfExtensions
> Date:            25 March 2022
> Author:            Christoph Thiede
>
> Revises the notion of extension method so that also extensions to the same
> package are found. For instance, browsing all extensions of the package
> 'Etoys' local to the category 'Etoys-Squeakland-MorphicExtras-Charts' will
> now also bring up the extensions on Player.
>
> Fixes #extensionCategoriesForClass:localTo: to also find different casings
> of the package name in the extension category. Also revises
> #methodCategoryPrefix to no longer destroy the original casing of the
> package name.
>
> Note that with this change, #extensionMethods and #coreMethods are no
> longer necessarily disjunct.

If a method is in an extension category of its own package, that's a
categorization bug. Rather than muddling the definition of extension
methods vs core methods I'd rather we fix the categorization of
miscategorized methods.

In the particular case of your example the method category should probably
be simply "charts", or possibly "morphicextras-charts".

If your goal is to browse all methods in a certain category (or category
prefix) across the whole image then that should probably be a method in
SystemNavigation, not PackageInfo. PackageInfo *defines* a package (its
name is somewhat misleading, could also be PackageSpec).

Your fixes look fine though.

Vanessa