[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-ct.999.mcz

Lauren P drurowin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:57:30 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel, Christoph,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022, 01:58 Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:

> Hi Christoph --
>
> Thanks. Treat this as a piece of pre-formatted document. It is actually
> like source code where authors sometimes want to pre-format the linebreaks
> of a longer comment to not have to fiddle around with window resizing.
>
> I know that some of us tend to remove manual line breaks in such longer
> comments but we might want to stop doing that if it is easy the retain the
> original format.
>
> For longer comments without extra line breaks, the following preference
> can help programmers that have troubles reading other author's source code:
>
> PluggableTextMorph softLineWrap: false.
> PluggableTextMorph visualWrapBorder: true.
> PluggableTextMorph softLineWrapAtVisualWrapBorder: true.
> PluggableTextMorph visualWrapBorderLimit: 80.
>
> That said, it would be nice to have a feature in SmalltalkEditor or
> TextEditor that converts the soft line breaks of the current text selection
> into hard line breaks and vice versa.
>
> Then we can more easily preserve both styles of formatting longer
> commentary. :-)

How about email's format=flowed? It uses a trailing space to indicate the
next line can be merged and wrapped according to the viewer's preferences.
We could visually mark that special end-of-line space in source mode so
it's obvious, but then process it in pretty print and documentation.

This line
would be
merged
with the rest.
But this would be
forced to a new one.
Select the text to see the trailing blanks.