[squeak-dev] Has anyone made a Blockly to squeak generator?

Tom Beckmann tomjonabc at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:31:41 UTC 2022

Hi Tim,

not exactly what you're looking for but maybe handy:
https://github.com/maveme/skogi/ (Squeak tool for generating Blockly
block-based editors (BBEs) from Ohm/S grammars).

Big challenge with Blockly/Scratch for a general-purpose programming BBE is
expression-centricity. You'll likely know that Scratch and Blockly
typically distinguish between Statement and Value blocks, as such some
hacks are required to make a language such as Smalltalk, where everything
is an expression, work well.

Of course, having a domain-specific Blockly editor that simply outputs
Smalltalk code should not be a challenge to create, but I'm not aware of
such a project myself.

Best,
Tom