[squeak-dev] Encoding issue with CompressedSourceFiles

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed May 4 19:47:01 UTC 2022

Hi all,

while updating one of my images today, in which I have enabled the "cache source files" preference, I stumbled upon a scanner error from CompiledMethod>>#timeStamp because a method had an incomplete preamble like:

HTTPClient class methodsFor: 'utilities' stamp: 'mir 2/2/2001

Starting at some point in the mid of the update, this error occurs reproducibly (I discarded and re-applied the update a few times) for different methods, so somewhere there must be a wrong offset in the cached source files. If I turn off the preference before installing the updates, no errors are raised.

Unfortunately, I do not really have an idea where to start searching for the cause of this error.

But Marcel mentioned a potential hint recently [1]: CompressedSourceFiles does not have a converter. Could this lead to this error? Dave, Marcel, do you have any ideas where to start? :-)

Best,

Christoph

[1] https://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2022-April/219869.html#:~:text=i%20also%20find%20it%20strange%20that%20compressedsources%20would%20not%20have%20a%20converter.%20after%20decompressing%20the%20content%2C%20you%20must%20convert%20them%20somehow.