[squeak-dev] PDFtalk for Squeak - first fileOut

Christian Haider mail at christianhaider.de
Tue May 17 17:27:06 UTC 2022

Hi Squeakers,

as some of you know, there is a project on the way for porting the PDFtalk
library from VisualWorks to Squeak and other non-namespaced Smalltalks [1].
Now I can report a first significant achievement: the new version of the
transformation tool was used successfully to produce the first fileOut of
the full PDF library including tests [2].

Some simple massaging was needed, but now the fileOut should load into
Squeak 6.0 without errors. The file is about 6 MB in size and takes around 8
minutes to load on my machine. There are lots of load warnings in the
Transcript and many tests have errors, but all code loads and can be browsed
and examined.

The tool automatically rewrites namespaced names with prefixed globally
unique names. This seems to work well and automates away much of the usual
porting work.

Now I am looking for a Squeaker with an interest in PDF and/or the
transformation tool and some time at hand to pair up for some coding. This
is an exiting project. Heads up - who wants to be part of this?

Happy hacking,

                Christian

[1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout

[2]
https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=portingblog#first_fileout_of_the_full_pd
ftalk_for_squeak_60

P.S. I hope that I am writing to the right list - apologies, if this is spam
for you