[squeak-dev] We are in FEATURE FREEZE -- Re: [PSA] Squeak 6.0 | The Dates

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed May 18 15:04:45 UTC 2022

Hi Jaromir --

Since we are talking about what to put into Squeak 6.0, which has already the new VM, "old VM + new image" is not a concern here. People that are still using an old VM with a recent Trunk VM can easily update to the new VM.

"new VM + old image" is important because backwards compatibility matters.
"old VM + new image" is not a concern because
   a) release images have new VM bundled
   b) even old images can have new VM bundled (e.g., Squeak 5.3)

So one could even backport this to Squeak 5.3. But that's not important right now. :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 18.05.2022 16:19:15 schrieb Jaromir Matas <mail at jaromir.net>:
Hi Marcel, Nicolas, Eliot, all,

> Yes, there is still time to merge Jaromir's process suspend/terminate fixes.

As we discussed  in the other thread: a decision needs to be made as for the 'extent' of the backward compatibility of the revised #suspend semantics (whether just 'new VM + old image' compatibility or also keep 'old VM + new image' compatibility which is more complex and I'm not in a position to tell it could be worth for some apps or users) - once the decision is made I'll be happy to put together a summary changeset for your convenience.
Best,
--
Jaromír Matas
mail at jaromir.net