[squeak-dev] Colour visualisation & mapping info

Lauren P drurowin at gmail.com
Thu May 19 02:45:27 UTC 2022

I work in photographic printing, so am intimately familiar with this.

There's also the matter of self-luminous colors... when others would be
black, very pure reds and blues will still appear colorful. You need to be
careful with this when it comes to user friendliness; dark red and dark
blue text on a black background or inverted is, for practical purposes,
black on black.

This becomes very obvious when you convert an RGB image to only the L*
component!

Even rudimentary CIELab support, for showing a read-only greyscale copy of
a form, would help in identifying accessibility issues.

On the other hand, Lab color is totally unintuitive to work in as input
unless you limit yourself to the brightness component only. I think it
would only confuse users to present it as a color picker, like the HSL
wheel.