[squeak-dev] Improving WeakKeyDictionary comment

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Sat May 28 11:25:02 UTC 2022

Hi Jakob,

On Fri, 27 May 2022, Jakob Reschke wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
> Whenever I read the class comment of WeakKeyDictionary, I know that I have to take care of something, but I do not know what. Can we improve the comment please to tell the readers more directly what is expected of them?
>
> - Must one ensure that #finalizeValues is sent to one's WeakKeyDictionary instance regularly?

Only if you are interested in finalization and want to do it your own way.
And even then, only if you want to have your finalizer executed as soon as
possible when a key of your dictionary has been garbage collected.
So, if you just want a dictionary with weak keys, the answer is no.

> - Should one register the dictionary instance via WeakArray addWeakDependent:?

Same as above. I'm not even sure it would work with
WeakKeyDictionaries. It's intended to work with WeakRegistries, which are
the main providers of finalization.

> - Which VM feature is the WeakRegistry class comment referring to; is it the semaphore used on the class side of WeakArray; and is it relevant to the use of WeakKeyDictionary?

One[1] that has never really been used in Squeak and has been
obsoleted by ephemerons. Even though we do not use ephemerons for
finalization yet.

> - If the answers to the questions above do not give it away, what must one do to use a WeakKeyDictionary safely?

The difference between a regular Dictionary and a WeakKeyDictionary is
that the latter cannot hold nil as a key, and your associations may
disappear when their keys are not referenced strongly.

Levente

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20210608170146/https://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7473