[squeak-dev] Posits

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:29:51 UTC 2022

Thank you for this excellent link.
When you know that both Microsoft and Apple have a bug in ldexp in the
gradual underflow range on x64, that's a warning that tapered arithmetic
might be error prone indeed ;)
IMO, a very good property of Posits is the ease of converting to/from
increased precision (if conserving es).
I would inquire the cost/benefit of what we could get with one register
containing 1 or few extra bytes of precision filled by each elementary
arithmetic op.
IMO it would restore some good properties for TwoSum, Twoproduct, etc...

Concerning languages like Javascript, please note that all integers up to
2^48 are representable on Posit64 with es=2, or up to 2^52 on Posit64 with
es=3, if I'm not mistaken...
So it does not make a great difference with Float64.