[squeak-dev] any objections if I make TextConverter>>decodeString: consume unsigned integer arrays (ByteArray et al) also?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:30:53 UTC 2022

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 1:05 PM Jakob Reschke <jakres+squeak at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> My gut feeling tells me: please go right ahead. I find it irritating how
> some ByteStrings are really just bytes with the "wrong" type anyway. That
> you can look at strings of bytes through those two different lenses always
> reminds me of C and that does not feel well. ;-)

+1

> Besides, if you process UTF-16 bytes, why not use DoubleByteArray?

Godo question and I'm not entirely sure, but I think it comes down to
endianness.  Accessing a UTF-16 stream as bytes allows one to support
either endianness. Using DoubleByteArray makes it straight-forward to use
the platform's endianness, and more difficult to use the other endianness.

--
best, Eliot