[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Compiler-eem.480.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:37:09 UTC 2022

Hi Christoph,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 7:47 AM <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> thanks for the great discussion. Your reply cleared a lot of things up for
> me -- I very much agree that the default value of any variable is not
> "undefined", but specifically nil.
>
> What I still find an interesting trade-off is that of "implicit vs
> explicit" aka "terseness vs readability". I think its solution depends on
> the typical readers of the code I am writing. If they are Squeak Core
> developers or VM developers, I can assume that they know the default value
> for any variable. For unexperienced programmers, I hope they do know.
> Still, it's easier for anyone to forget if it's not explicitly written
> down. Yes, I can translate | a | to | a *:= nil* | in my head, but that
> also might be a tiny portion of mental overhead.

Right.  One of the design principles of Smalltalk, one of its more
important design principles, is to use the least amount of rules possible
(but no fewer) and apply them consistently.  This applies, for example, to
Maxwell's equations, right?  It is a critical attribute of good scientific
models, good legal systems, good road traffic laws, not just good
programming languages.  Finding a small set of easily memorable rules, or
principles, that are orthogonal and cohere to provide a calculus which can
be used to construct or predict behaviour or consequence, is a delight and
a blessing.

There was one rule in Smalltalk that was awful; that was a result of the
implementation showing through, (that IIRC got into the ANSI standard),
that we fixed. That was that the value of an empty block that took
arguments, was the value of the last argument.  So [:a :b|] value: 1 value:
2 would evaluate to 2.  Thankfully this has been fixed and the value of an
empty block is always nil, irrespective of its arguments. ColorArray new: n
is not something that needs to be fixed, or alarmed at.  It can be
experienced (I discovered it this last week, I was not astonished).  I
wager you will never forget that the default value of a ColorArray indexed
instance variable is Color transparent.  You may even use it in your
teaching as an amusing and interesting example for the initialization rule.
I doubt that it would tax any new Smalltalker that has already encountered
bits collections, and would serve to help them remember the
initialize-with-zero sub-rule.

Example 2, ColorArray: My first take would be indeed be to favor ColorArray
> new: 256 withAll: Color transparent over ColorArray new: 256, because I
> have never used this class before and would not be sure whether the values
> default to black or transparent or anything else. I could look it up, but I
> would likely forget it several times before remembering. Why should I do
> this to myself (and to any other non-ColorArray expert)?

The thing about ColorArray that's important to our discussion is that a new
instance is initialized; it doesn't contain random crap. This is the point
about initialization that applies to all Smalltalk variables, temporary,
global, named instance, and indexed instance.  We have one rule, if the
variable holds pointers it is initialized by nil, if the variable holds
bits it is initialized with the all-zeros bit string.  This has some
unexpected consequences such as (ColorArray new: 10) anyOne = Color
transparent, but the nice thing is that the rule is very easy to learn, and
so when one discovers (ColorArray new: 10) anyOne = Color transparent one
is not astonished. [the principle of least astonishment)

> Example 3, point arithmetic: Here I'm completely with you, but maybe I'm
> also biased because I have already spent some time working with visual
> domains in Squeak. :-)

:-) indeed!

> Example 4, coreutils: ls, cat, and less are all lisping, catastrophic, or
> at least less intuitive names IMHO. Most of us will have got familiar with
> them, but from a Smalltalk perspective that is seeking for readability, I
> still would favor them to be named ListFiles, PrintFile, and
> OpenFileForRead. On the contrary, many people who are used the present
> nomenclature would dismiss these proposals as hard to write and maybe even
> hard to read. Is "terseness vs readability" as this syntactical point
> really a matter of data (code) quality (that must be ensured by the
> writer), or more a matter of the right tooling (that can be adjusted by the
> editor/reader)?

Learning to play a musical instrument, learning to wield a golf club,
learning to drive a car, ride a bike, accumulate any useful skill, involves
a tradeoff.  Masterful use always drops the training wheels. Eventually we
always advance to using a functionally efficient interface and/or set of
skills.  This makes like hard for the learner.  They have to acquire the
skills that allow them to reach competence on their way to mastery.  But we
do not serve ourselves by preventing mastery, by protecting us against
mastery.  If we do, we end up with inexpressive music, shirt and unexciting
drives, 30 kph autobahns, 70 kg bikes that don;'t lean in the corners.

The Prussian Model of Education was set up under Bismark, its intent being
to produce a generation of easily ruled consumers and cannon fodder. Its
means were to teach badly, to render its subjects insecure,
consciously inferior to those educated in elite private schools. This model
was adopted by th eUS senate immediately after the civil war as the
blueprint for the US's public education system. It serves as the ideal
instrument of oppression in faux democracies. [I was incredibly fortunate
that it was not used in my public primary school; unsurprisingly, teachers
that love children hate the Prussian Model].

Driving a child to school, rather than having them walk, and/or catch a
bus, results in an adult less at ease moving around the city.  It
infantilises them. It constrains them their whole lives.

Wittgenstein's realisation was that language means what we collectively
decide it means, not what it is defined to mean, and the fact that a
substantial number of American adults think that "inflammable" means the
opposite of "flammable" is alarming, an example that militates for better
teaching, not Newspeak.

If we are to live meaningful, rich, lives that enrich those of others, we
must enculturate, we must take off the training wheels, we must fashion
that which is concise, powerful and call it elegant.

---

> > I want a warning for the usage of b in "c := b", "d" in "#(1 2 3)
> sorted: d", g in "g perform: #ifNotNil: with: [b := g]". I *don't* want to
> be told about a in "a ifNil: [a := 1]", c in "c ifNil: [c := 3]", or e & f
> in "(e isNil or: [f isNil]) ifTrue: [e := f := 6]".
>
> Thank you for clarification. So the idea of #queryUndefined (will rename
> that) is to fix human forgetfulness.

Yes.

> In the second group of examples, you explicitly consider these variables
> being nil, so you don't need a reminder from the compiler (or with regards
> to Tobi's argument, you're already dealing with the meta-level). In the
> first group of examples, one could say that you are covering tracks of your
> own possible forgetfulness and spreading possibly unsassigned values, so
> it's more important for the tooling to point you to that possible slip.
> Yes, I guess now that makes more sense to me. :-)

Cool.

> Still, the scope of this warning remains a bit blurry for me. Maybe that's
> because we are approximating a type analysis engine here with a *very*
> rough heuristic.

I think that's exactly why.

> For instance:
>
>     | a |
>     a ifNotNil: [a *:=* a + 1].
>     ^ a
>
> In this example, I do *not* want a warning for "a + 1" but I *do* want a
> warning for "^ a" as a still might be unassigned. Currently, the reality
> is just the other way around. But that is probably out of scope for the
> current architecture ...

I love the pragmatic design principle from the LRG/SCG at PARC that I was
taught on arrival at ParcPlace Systems: don't let the perfect be the enemy
of the good.  It's ok to have 95% of the solution.

(As a side note, some other confusing thing around this notification for me
> is the fact that our compiler essentially integrates a few rudimentary
> linter tools (namely, UndefinedVariable and UnknownSelector) and forces the
> user to interact with them in a modal fashion. To be honest, I never liked
> that "modal linter style" and often wish we had some more contemporary
> annotation-/wiggle-line-based tooling for that.

+1000 !!!!!  Thanks for pointing this out.  This is an excellent
suggestion.  I *hate* clicking on the "declare as a foo variable" dialog
for a sequence of as-yet-undeclared temp vars, only to hit a lint rule, or
syntax error, and have all those declarations discarded.

best, Eliot