[squeak-dev] wrt debugger flexibility

Lauren P drurowin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:49:01 UTC 2022

Hi List,

In reference to my question about the debugger in regards to
Chronology-Core-dtl.80, I have a proposal.

I am halfway or so to stealing RESTART from Common Lisp for Squeak.  It
lets the programmer define alternatives for exception handling.  Restarts
would be responsible for making the Proceed, Abandon, etc. buttons in the
debugger window, with every #on:offer: defining a button.

It's an extra layer of indirection and complexity in the evaluator, but it
is an extremely powerful tool for writing clean code.  If I had to choose
one of an interactive debugger or restarts I'd pick restarts.

Implementation is easy but tedious... restarts have lots of optional
parameters.  If List thinks RESTART would be a good thing to have I will
prioritize it.

PS: Whoever wrote the signalling code, thank you.  It is very clean and
easy to read.  I learned everything about dynamic extent in Smalltalk from
reading it.

--
Obviously, I vote yes, and the effort to not proselytize the Cult Of
Restart here is great indeed.