[squeak-dev] wrt debugger flexibility

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:05:51 UTC 2022

Hi Lauren,

I am a big fan of Common Lisp conditions and restarts. Just as mentioned I
too already mused on the list once that the debugger notifier buttons like
Proceed and Abandon could be generalized in this way.

However, they are not Smalltalk "standard" (not even de facto), therefore
not portable, and you must expect that they do not get widely adopted even
in the Squeak community (how many of us use Traits?!). I could see them
being used as a Squeak-internal feature though, like for the debugger
buttons... And I would like to use them for some error recovery cases in
the Git Browser if they were already there.

About increasing the complexity of the system, I am torn. In Cuis, restarts
would probably have no place for that reason, unless the
learning/understanding impact is really small. Maybe it would be good to
see first how much more complicated things get with a restarts mechanism in
place. But that may be well after you or anyone else has already invested
most of the work.

So, I would be delighted to see this happen. But I also do not want to
incite any illusions. ;-)

Kind regards,
Jakob