[squeak-dev] [HOWTO] Branching in Montecello and SqueakSource (was: Fixes for possible abandoned squeaksource.com projects)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 6 23:00:30 UTC 2022

On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 12:32:03AM +0200, Jakob Reschke wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> But isn't the problem rather that nobody who is seeking to contribute has
> write access to the repository? Then you also could not save a Monticello
> branch to it. The thing about GitHub/Bitbucket/... forks is that they are
> separate repositories, and therefore have different access rights.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob

Good question, I'm not sure what problem we are trying to solve here.

If it is simply a matter of allowing global write access to the repository,
then the SqueakSource administrator can do that. Just change the "Global"
setting from "Read" to "Read and Write". We have a number of projects
like that. The original project administrator and developers have moved
on to other interests, and the projects are now community supported.

I have administrator rights on squeaksource.com, and can make this change
if that is how we want to handle it.

Alternatively, the equivalent of forking a project on GitHub would be
for someone to register a new project called RayTracing-trunk on
squeaksource.com, then copy RayTracing-avi.6.mcz from the original
repository to the new repository and carry on from there (being
careful to preserve the license and copyright information of course).

This is like forking a repository on GitHub, easy to do but maybe confusing
for someone who wants to find the "real" repository.

Dave