[squeak-dev] Fixes for possible abandoned squeaksource.com projects

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sat Oct 8 13:15:07 UTC 2022

Hi

seeing this thread has evolved into a feature frenzy ;)
Going back to the beginning:

> On 5. Oct 2022, at 08:00, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I made a small fix for the RayTracing project.
> http://www.squeaksource.com/RayTracing.html
> Vector needed to subclass Float32Array instead of FloatArray.
>
> But the RayTracing project is read only.
>
> Do we have a best practice for stuff like this?
> I uploaded the fix to my own squeaksource account

I have seen this: new squeaksource project and things moving there.
This happened with quite a few projects that moved to GemStone's SqueakSource installation
for a while.

However, Since the Squot is apparently rather stable, what does speak agains
copying dormant projects to a Git hosting (GitHub/lab/anything) and using
capabilities there?

That has also happened already, especially for projects formerly at HPI's SquekSource.

I don't know whether we should really continue to amend SqueakSource.
There's failed SqueakSource2, Abandoned SqueakSource3, and also SmalltalkHub just disappeared at some time.

I would rather SqueakSource just go into _maintenance only_ mode to sustain Squeak Trunk development,
nothing else.

Best regards
	-Tobias