[squeak-dev] AITA - returning a 408 error for a WebClient request where the socket times out?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Oct 8 17:46:14 UTC 2022

> On 2022-10-08, at 3:57 AM, Jakob Reschke <jakres+squeak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Are you asking whether it would be good to let WebClient automatically convert socket timeouts to a WebResponse with status 408 _for everyone_?

Well, sort of. And I agree with you about the server not sending any such message.

The issue is indeed error handling, and specifically good ways of reporting the error etc. It's always a pain! It gets especially tricky with trying to quickly give some indication of an error or problem via Seaside to a browser user.

As a bit of context, I'm sending a load of data from a postgres DB (obtained via a socket, of course) to another server for some processing, and so there could be issues with the network, the particular connection, the server failing to respond, the service not being accessible, the actual request having problems....

Software is such fun ;-)

tim
Strange OpCodes: EROS: Erase Read-Only Storage