[squeak-dev] Virtend demo and ParrotTalk & Remote Promises.

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Sat Sep 10 14:12:19 UTC 2022

Hi Rob,

Looking forward to talking with you on Monday!  We will probably not be
able to use your code.

The reason is pretty basic.  We are only using OS provided crypto.
Because we are not including actual crypto code in our system we don't have
any export restrictions from the US Government.  It also increases security
because it allows customers to update their code in the regular course of
business.  When we first started our TLS implementation I had intended to
use it, but after talking with Andreas we decided that it was better to not
export crypto.  That was why Andreas wrote the SqueakSSL code.

We are using promises now but the encryption is part of the transport not
part of the protocol.  Everything between client and server and between
servers is encrypted in transport.

I do believe that eventually having a secure remote messaging ability will
be beneficial.  It is closer to Alan's vision of programs as computers
being able to communicate much like a smart internet.  People don't think
that way today and it is very possible it's not happening today because of
security and performance guarantees.  Please don't take anything I'm saying
as trying to dissuade you from doing your work.  I do think it has real
value and can help anyone that is interested in learning more about crypto,
and eventually it could be extremely useful for real world use. If I use
external components for computation (smart contracts is one example) I
could compose systems in a completely different way.  If that starts to
happen it could lead to people building better and better components and
making them available for people building systems.  It's a very interesting
future!

All the best,

Ron