[squeak-dev] Question on Magma.

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 22:54:11 UTC 2022

Hi Edwin,

I wanted to use Magma to get an idea on how an Object Database is working.
> Are there 'standard' texts on object databases in general, that could help
> me?

But now, it seems that I overestimated myself: the documentation I found on
> Magma is not enough for me to get going.

There are books about object databases, however, they discuss a lot of
academic aspects of ODBMS's that are not so practical in terms of getting
up and running.  For that, there's just, 1) create the database (which
you've already figured out by your question in this email), 2) start a
server and, 3) open a session.

Magma's "Getting Started" documentation is here, is this what you found?

    https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2669

Please try to work through that page and let me know what questions you
have.

It feels like I miss some basic knowledge to really understand what you are
> writing. Or maybe there's just 35 years of Cobol programming that get in
> the way...

My first IT gig in 1988 was using COBOL.   :)

 - Chris