[squeak-dev] [ANN] OpenSmalltalk VM 2022 released (tag 202205110711)

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Sep 16 14:20:27 UTC 2022

Hi all,

> If you are mostly interested in making sure that people are aware of a new vm, a message that says a new vm is available with release notes and a method to update the vm would serve the same purpose.  A well placed red (!) exclamation point is really all you need. The method to update the vm could be as simple as taking the user to the download page (just like your original email message in this thread).

This is what I meant. Don't restrict compatibility, don't enforce users to install a new VM, but give them a short unobtrusive note if an update is available. We could place this in the "Update complete" dialog, for instance. We could also read the latest build number of the VM somewhere from squeak.org if we don't want to store this information in the image. Could this maybe help VM developers receive earlier feedback on new VM releases?

Best,
Christoph