[squeak-dev] Make the trunk stream more discoverable? (was: Docs on Contributing to Squeak)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Sep 28 21:34:51 UTC 2022

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 12:48:12PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > On 2022-09-28, at 12:04 PM, Thiede, Christoph <Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
> >
> > I would deem an extra pop-up too intrusive. Probably many people use
> > a stable release image deliberately and only want to receive backported
> > patches for that. But maybe we could add a short note into the Transcript or the "updated completed" dialog?
> >

> Dave is suggesting another option in the menu, not a pop-up thing.
>
> I'd also consider making it part of the dialogue that already pops up at the end of an update -
>

> In the default downloaded state it shows the Url as 'http://source.squeak.org/squeak60'.
> If we added a button 'update from trunk from now on' this would be reasonably
> obvious and very easy to use.

I like the "update from trunk from now on" wording. That gets the idea
across nicely.

I do not have access to any new users of Squeak to ask the question,
but I wonder how many people are using the "stable" release simply
because they don't know any better. They would not know that trunk is
available to them, and they would not know that that trunk is actually
very stable in its own right.

If I was a new user, I would certainly go with the "stable" version
because it sounds like the right thing to do and I would not know
any better. But if you gave me the option to "update from trunk
from now on" then maybe I would give it a try and be happily surprised
by the quality and stability of the trunk update stream.

I might also be more inclined to contribute to Squeak development if
I was using a trunk image, even if I was a total newbie. All of us
who contribute to Squeak started out as total newbies, so that might
be a very good thing to encourage :-)

Dave