[squeak-dev] Improve termination behavior when in #critical section

Jaromir Matas mail at jaromir.net
Fri Feb 3 01:29:11 UTC 2023

Hi Eliot,

>  I *hate* code like oldList class == LinkedList...

Can't agree more :) How about this (also enclosed). If ok I will polish it a bit.

Process >> suspendAndReleaseCriticalSection
                "Figure out if we are terminating a process that is in the ensure: block of a critical section.
                If it hasn't made progress but is beyond the wait (which we can tell by the oldList being
                one of the runnable lists, i.e. a LinkedList, not a Semaphore or Mutex), then the ensure:
                block needs to be run."

                "Suspend and unblock the receiver from a condition variable using suspend primitive #88.
                It answers the list the receiver was on before the suspension."

                | oldList |
                oldList := self suspendAndUnblock ifNil: [LinkedList new].
                ((suspendedContext ifNil: [^self]) method pragmaAt: #criticalSection) ifNil: [^self].
                suspendedContext := oldList class releaseCriticalSection: suspendedContext

LinkedList class >> releaseCriticalSection: aContext

                ^aContext methodClass stepIntoCriticalSection: aContext

Mutex class >> releaseCriticalSection: aContext

                ^aContext pc: aContext endPC

Mutex class >> stepIntoCriticalSection: aContext

                ^(aContext stackPtr > 0 and: [aContext top == false])
                                ifTrue: [aContext stepToCallee]
                                ifFalse: [aContext]

Semaphore class >> releaseCriticalSection: aContext

                ^aContext pc: aContext endPC

Semaphore class >> stepIntoCriticalSection: aContext

                ^aContext stepToCallee

--

Jaromír Matas

mail at jaromir.net