[squeak-dev] HelpBrowser as note taker

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 11 22:33:59 UTC 2023

> On 2023-02-11, at 3:07 AM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Your change is a big improvement.
> Help and documentation can now be fully done in the HelpBrowser.

Glad you like it - it's CT's original code mostly. The bit that still concerns me a little is the deletion when removing a page or book. If the book is all that there is in a CustomHelp class then clearly there is no issue - delete the book means delete the class, no more questions, boom. But so far as I can tell it is entirely possible to have help-doc methods in a class that also has help stuff. And then you almost certainly don't want to delete the class, just the relevant methods of help-doc.

> I'm going to start saving my spurious Workspace snippets in a CustomHelp class so I can keep them backed up and accessible from all my images on various computers.
>
> I vote for this to be included in Trunk
>
> Next cool feature would be publishing to the Swiki or other service,  to make help topics web accessible.
> It could almost work like a primitive blog tool. Haha

Yup. Being able to load a single/several wiki page(s) to edit would be nice, but that would really need us to bring in the editing markup of the wiki. Which we probably should anyway.

tim
"How many Motie Warriors does it take to change a lightbulb?”
"None. One of the dead ones will do it."