[squeak-dev] How do I "sleep 5"?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Feb 24 09:20:51 UTC 2023

Hi Stephen --

> Sounds like yet another reason to drop morphic, if you ask me, and go back to good-old MVC…

To you? Maybe. Fortunately, us frequent users of and contributors to Squeak/Morphic see this a bit differently. ;-)

> I’ve been watching this thread and wondering why nobody suggests the simplest answer: [...]

First, counting the number of characters, your suggestion has more compared to using #future:. ;-) Second, I am not quite sure how you define "simplest", but using #fork comes with *a lot* of semantic baggage. One might encounter all kinds of nasty debuggers just because one does not know about the challenges of multi-processing and shared data structures and so on. Just because ST-80 MVC did not even try to support you in this regard does not imply that it is better compared to Morphic. At least, Morphic gives you something to work with.

It is so funny how people react to things they do not yet know much about. Many times, they are kind of anxious and claim to know better without even trying to learn about that unfamiliar territory. Jumping to conclusions ... so many times ... just jumping to conclusions. It is exhausting.

In general, I am always interested in discussing and improving the challenging parts in Squeak, including Morphic. However, if somebody thinks that "replacing everything" can make things better, that somebody deliberately chose to not participate in such a discussion any longer.

Guess what? Nothing is perfect. Try to look for the nice things. It may even brighten up your day a little bit. ;-)

Best,
Marcel
Sounds like yet another reason to drop morphic, if you ask me, and go back to good-old MVC…

stp

--------

Stephen Travis Pope    Ojai, California, USA
     [pastedGraphic.tiff]
     http://HeavenEverywhere.com
     http://FASTLabInc.com
     https://vimeo.com/user19434036/videos
     http://heaveneverywhere.com/Reflections

Because Morphic is not multi-thread-clean, you have to be really careful how to write the do_something to be reliably executed from a different process. You have to coordinate with the UI process. In which case it actually becomes simpler to just stay in the UI process and use the mechanisms available.

Vanessa

I’ve been watching this thread and wondering why nobody suggests the simplest answer:

[(Delay forSeconds: 5) wait.
do_something] fork.

stp

--------