[squeak-dev] Stripper and/or Whittler for Squeak

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 03:33:23 UTC 2023

Hi,

> Re: “I'm not sure how much attention anyone ends up paying to the message
> protocols lists in the browser.”
>
> If we used them as-intended, to categorize methods according to function
> (e.g., accessing, printing, instance creation, etc.), it would make finding
> things much easier!

I don't know whether everyone is already aware of this, or whether it'd
even be helpful at all -- but for the *packagename categories, it is
allowed for them to be merely *prefixed* with the package name.
*packagename-accessing and *packagename-testing will both be identified as
belonging to the package whose prefix matches that name.

Then, it'd be possible with "Filterable Lists" enabled, to simply
type "acc" in the categories pane to show all just the "accessing"
protocols, albeit, broken out by package (maybe IDE enhancement could
compress them into one, but then how to move extensions between
packages..).  Not perfect, but can be done with the IDE today.

 - Chris