[squeak-dev] reviewing ChatGPT's understanding of Smalltalk

Lauren P drurowin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:07:36 UTC 2023

Chris, all,

Very interesting.  Even while looking for the inconsistencies you pointed
out, it was still very hard to follow since each answer was so verbose.

My biggest surprise was that it knew to treat '12345' as a Smalltalk from-1
string.

And then proceeded to return 2 characters even after stating the to: term
is inclusive.  Something in it's KB was really insistent on the to: term
being exclusive, even though the reasoning engine got the correct answer
while showing its work.

I had a similar experience with the art AI.  My dad said he got some really
cool results from it, so I tried asking it for a lemur playing chess with a
penguin and could not get a penguin at all.  All of my queries were so
disappointingly met, and I made a lot.

I guess people have forgotten AI winter is still going strong.