[squeak-dev] reviewing ChatGPT's understanding of Smalltalk

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 03:55:31 UTC 2023

You're making the mistake of thinking it understands any of it... it
doesn't.  There isn't a KB in the sense you're probably expecting to be
there, only the meaning it's extracted in terms of the relationships of the
text (in the form of encoded symbols) ingested.  It only appeared to
understand how Smalltalk strings work because its training data included
plenty of Smalltalk code, in which string manipulation is abundant.  These
models are trained on hundreds of gigabytes of text from the usual sources
(wikipedia, stackoverflow, open source books, reddit etc.) around the
Internet.

Sure it's doing far more than simply regurgitating the text it's seen
before back to you, but it's a whole lot less than any actual
understanding.  Think of it as ELIZA NG++.  Its output often has a sort of
fractals with text quality in that it's spitting out something that looks
nice (i.e. reasonable) since that's what it was rewarded for doing during
training.  I must admit I find the dynamic style transfer endlessly
entertaining:

me: 'hello' copyFrom: 3 to: 4 would return the string 'l'... answer in the
style of shakespeare

gpt: Aye, 'tis true, for the 'hello' string hath a length of five
characters, and from index three to index four is the specified range, thus
the resulting substring shall contain only the character at index three,
which is the letter 'l'.
-------

me: 'hello' copyFrom: 3 to: 4 would return the string 'l'... answer in the
style of yoda

gpt: 'l', the string returning, 'hello' copyFrom: 3 to: 4 would.
-------

me: 'hello' copyFrom: 3 to: 4 would return the string 'l'... answer in the
style of edgar allan poe

gpt: Ah, 'tis a question of such simplicity, yet a riddle of such intrigue.
'Tis true that a single letter may be copied from one point to another.
'Tis that single letter which stands between two points, with the answer to
this conundrum standing between them. Aye, 'twould be precisely that single
letter 'l' that would be returned.