[squeak-dev] search-first menus (was "NewWorldMenu")

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Wed Jan 18 18:37:30 UTC 2023

      Tim writes:

 > It's all a bit of a mess right now and this may be a perfect excuse
 > for you to improve it ;-)

      I've come to prefer local search engines like Spotlight to both
menubars and pop-up menus. Or rather, I prefer a pop-up menu which
begins as a simple input field, and only shows choosable items after
I've typed something.

      We have a large diversity of preferences as to what should go in a
world menu. At this point, I think we'd be better off with a search
engine that, with use, shows what we're likely to mean from the first
few characters. I already type something to filter the current world
menu, usually.

      For newcomers, we could decorate a search engine input field with
a single instruction: "Type a question mark to see some popular
choices."  That could give an initial set of choices similar to the
current world menu. The choices can be simple items, nested menus, etc.

-C

--
Craig Latta        :: research computer scientist ::
Black Page Digital ::     Berkeley, California    ::