[squeak-dev] categories via tags (was "6-Paned browser fixed")

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Wed Jan 18 19:14:35 UTC 2023

Hi--

      stp writes:

 > There seems to be some confusion about what the PackagePaneBrowser is;
 > the left-most (top-level) list is supposed to be the class category
 > categories (i.e., class category names split after $-, [Kernel,
 > Collections, Graphics, ...], analogous to packages).

      Huge tangent: If it's possible to evolve from the traditional
category system based on hyphenated strings, I think it'd be nice to use
scoped tags. For example, class Object would have a first-order tag
"Kernel" and second-order tag "Objects", instead of the hyphenated
category string "Kernel-Objects". We could also use this for methods,
modules, and lots of other things.

      A tag system, with search support, seems just as fundamental as
support for hierarchies, with much overlap in their associated visual
tools. The current system has led to lots of ugly and redundant code. It
was forgivable in the earliest days, when we were still getting a sense
of how useful categories were and what they might be. We have that sense
now.

-C

--
Craig Latta        :: research computer scientist ::
Black Page Digital ::     Berkeley, California    ::