[squeak-dev] 6-Paned browser fixed

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:22:38 UTC 2023

Am Mi., 25. Jan. 2023 um 00:07 Uhr schrieb Stephen Travis Pope <
stephen at heaveneverywhere.com>:

> If the package manager has no way to handle renamed categories, that’s a
> problem.

In general I agree, but it is the system on which Squeak is based right
now. The categories constitute the package boundaries, just as you have
already seen it for the extension method protocol names (in another
thread). If somebody suddenly volunteers to refactor Monticello (or
PackageInfo) accordingly in a backwards-compatible manner (so that the
existing versions can be used by newer images and that we can still produce
versions that are loadable by older images if necessary) after all these
years, great. But somehow I doubt it. (-:

I have nothing against a system that is easier to understand and learn, and
I do appreciate your initiative, but I do not believe that this is the
ultimate goal that trumps everything else. If the reorganization causes
more trouble than it is worth, I remain sceptical. I would welcome some
more opinions though.

Kind regards,
Jakob