[squeak-dev] Setting Memory pointer for bitmap object.. is it possible without plugin?

LawsonEnglish LEnglish5 at cox.net
Thu Mar 30 22:29:42 UTC 2023

Thanks. I’ve used FFI before, and have several references to shared memory on the Mac (other OS’s have similar facilities). The real question is about setting a pointer to the memory used by a Bitmap object.

Getting FFI to work with the latest version of Mac OS X is often quite painful due to all the security-related hoops you must jump through to give  permission to an app to access libraries outside the app’s own set. I *think* that Apple’s built in shared memory API won’t be as covoluted to use via FFI as other libraries are, but haven’t tested it on Mac OS X 13.x (Ventura).

The real question is about setting the pointer that a Bitmap (in two or more images) uses. ELiot kindly offered to mentor me through the process of writing plugins. The real question is: am I up for that?