[squeak-dev] Squeak 6.0 is badly broken loading "old" .morphs

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Fri Mar 31 08:39:08 UTC 2023

Here's a simple test. In Squeak 4.3 create a TextMorph with this text (5
lines):

This is line 1

Line 2 is blank

Line 4 is also blank

Save to a .morph using the halo. Now in Squeak 6.0, open a file list,
click on the entry for the file above, and click load as morph. You will
get the following prompt in a dialogue:

Reading an instance of MultiNewParagraph.
	Which modern class should it translate to?

How are we supposed to import .morph files in new Squeak versions???

You Squeak code jockeys seem to have a mania for code purity refactoring
that gives no thought at all to us Squeak content developers who are
hoping to preserve our artistic work. And then you can't figure out why
more people don't use Squeak for application development.

Grrrrr!!