[squeak-dev] Setting Memory pointer for bitmap object.. is it possible without plugin?

LawsonEnglish LEnglish5 at cox.net
Fri Mar 31 21:39:37 UTC 2023

The Shared Memory facility in most modern OS’s (Mac, Linux and Windows) will allow a pointer between processes. The problem is to get it working with Squeak. Eliot outlined the issues in his response. They are more convoluted than I was hoping for, but presumably it's doable.

The point of doing it is to create a shared memory IPC option for Squeak, as, in principle, that is the fastest way of doing IPC, and if you’re sharing large chunks of data (e.g. the pixels of an image), the savings can be significant.

The Mandelbrot Set is simply a simple (and potentially entertaining) way of providing visual feedback that its actually working. Its actually not a good use case for shared memory IPC because, as you drill down into the Set, the time spent for calculations is far more than the time saved using the shared memory, but it would visually demonstrate that something is happening, and far less boring than simply sending arbitrary chunks of memory during testing of the protocol.

Lawson