[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Extended Clipboard

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Mar 31 23:32:45 UTC 2023

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 08:13:58PM -0700, Vanessa Freudenberg wrote:

> Awesome!
>
> Just to confirm that indeed, at some point this worked in the version of
> Squeak/Etoys that shipped on the OLPC machines.
>
> You could for example copy a morph and insert it into an OpenOffice
> document (it was converted to a bitmap).
>
> If I remember correctly you could even copy morphs including their
> running scripts from one image to another, by way of serializing the morph
> and using a Squeak-specific MIME type.

Thanks Vanessa,

I am not keeping up very well with the current clipboard development,
but I am try to help by putting together the historical pieces.

The OLPC image should be a good reference. It's on Linux and it
delivers Etoys and all of the clipboard functionality that worked
at that time.

Can you say if the Etoys development image Etoys-Dev-4.1.2381.zip
is the same as what was delivered on OLPC? If so it should serve
as a useful reference.

If anyone would like to try looking at Etoys-Dev-4.1.2381.zip, here
are a few notes:

- The image will run in SqueakJS on https://try.squeak.org/. It's
a bit slow but it works and allows anyone to browse the system and
look at the source.

- The image also runs on an up to date interpreter VM, which is
useful if you want to run Etoys on a native Linux VM and try the
clipboard functions on Linux.

- I found that I now need to compile the VM with the gcc -fno-stack-protector
option, otherwise the VM exits with a stack smashing warning. I am
assuming this is due to recent gcc security updates (exit on stack
smashing detected) that are triggered by the existing VM/image when
running the Etoys image. Home hobby Squeakers compiling the VM will
need to follow the instructions at https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354
but also add the -fno-stack-protector compiler option in order to run
the Etoys development image on Linux.

BTW I do not recall the link for downloading Etoys-Dev-4.1.2381.zip
but hopefully it is still available on the net. If not maybe we can
put a copy on the files.squeak.org server.

Dave