[Squeak-e] Programming the VM

cg at cdegroot.com cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Feb 3 17:50:49 CET 2003

Mark S. Miller <squeak-e at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>"after the fact" would be bad. You'd be in a very weird state until it was set.

Hey, nothing that some loose references to quantum mechanics cannot
solve ;-)

>Otherwise, yes, exactly. Or, at least, it has to point at an object which is
>in one-to-one correspondence with the parent 'machine', and which enables
>this parent to open it up (ie, obtain an instance of Lex's ObjectInspector
>on it) iff the object is indeed a child of this parent. I need to explain
>the KeyKOS/EROS branding mechanism.

Ok. My gut feeling is indeed that this is better than dynamic scoping.
So we need an extra slot. Time to bring in the VM hacking squad ;-)

(FYI: the VM object format is destined to change in Squeak 3.5, for
'real' closures or whatever. So this is the ideal time to request such
changes).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo