[Squeak-e] Market economies

Robert Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Fri Jan 31 22:03:16 CET 2003

folks,

I have an outrageous idea.  I'm wondering what you think of it.

The real value of squeak is the community.  Since we are considering
the possibilities of opening a hole can of worms, here, why don't we
turn it up a notch.   Let's form a corporation and issue preferred
stock to a bunch of people.   I am thinking the entire squeak and E
communities should own stock.  We'll want to distribute it commensurate
to 'contribution' somehow, but there is really no fair way, is there?
So we'll have a vote.  And whatever the results, we'll abide by them.
I don't know how the vote will work, but maybe each person has 100
shares to distribute and they distribute them to specific people or
organizations.    Whatever they want to do with it, they can.  Perhaps
it would be easier to just decide amongst ourselves, I don't know.

Then we build a system that can reliable trade that stock, with
security.

then we look for ways to inject real money into the system.

the only way for the stock to ever be worth money is if we build the
system to support it

the code we write, will be open-source, under our open source license.
We could give Apple some of the stock to buy their license from them.
:)

the value will be in the system we build with the code, not the code
itself.

so?  is it crazy enough to work?  It's like an experiment.  Do you want
to try it, just for the hell of it?  It might be possible to get
funding to create such a system and track it's growth and evolution.

regards,
rob