[Squeak-e] Re: [cap-talk] automatic policy embodiment and enforcement

Fred Spiessens fsp at info.ucl.ac.be
Thu Aug 12 05:14:27 CEST 2004

[Message by Fred, reposted to e-lang, users at mozart, and squeak-e by MarkM.
I wanted to be sure y'all saw this. --MarkM]

Toby,

Three weeks ago Mark Miller, Jonathan Shapiro, Peter Van Roy and myself
submitted a paper for POPL05, that is to be regarded as a first step in the
direction you're pointing to. It does not yet deal with _automatic_ mapping
of policy specifications towards relied-upon abstractions of behavior, but
it contains a proposal for a formalism to express in which way relied-upon
("trusted") entities reduce their authority-providing behavior when
interacting with other entities, and to consequently examine the resulting
boundaries in authority propagation. We called it "Authority Reduction
Systems" in the paper, and we derived its mechanisms and features from an
analytical comparison between H.R.U. Protection Systems and Take-Grant Systems.

I consider your remark as (one of) the next step(s) to be done now:
1) build  tools that proof the "safety properties" of an arbitrary
configuration that contains some entities of which (part of) their behavior
restrictions are known or relied upon.
2) build tools that propose the injection of reliable entities at strategic
places in a configuration, to assure a given set of "safety requirements"
for a given class of configurations.

I hope we will  then also be able to translate arbitrary security paradigms
into such "classes of initial configurations", with a minimal set of
initial conditions, and reliable entities put at strategic places to enforce
the policy. ( I'm not sure I make myself clear, I suggest you read the paper
for more details)

I've just started working towards such a tool, using techniques from
constraint programming which are relatively new to me (all help is very
welcome!).  I think it is possible to build a tool that can find the minimum
number of reliable entities to be injected, the minimum set of restrictions
each of them should respect, and the best places amongst the other agents to
install them, as to guarantee the requirements of an arbitrary security policy.

You can find our paper "Authority Reduction in Protection Systems" on the
MILOS project site:
http://renoir.info.ucl.ac.be/twiki/bin/view/INGI/MILOSProject
(last entry under the topic "Capability Theory")

All comments on the paper are very welcome on this mailing list.
I hope it will point you in the right direction.

cheers,

Fred.
Fred Spiessens
UCL Louvain-la-Neuve Belgium
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/fsp/fred.html
the Second International Mozart/Oz Conference
(MOZ 2004)
Charleroi, Belgium, Oct. 7-8, 2004
http://www.cetic.be/moz2004