English summary was: Re: [Squeak-ev] Organisatorischer Rahmen: Enger oder weiter?

Rudi Angela olmeca at mac.com
Die Mar 19 14:04:42 UTC 2002

I applaud any european initiative in this field. There are a couple of
issues that affect us Europeans more directly, like languages and
localization. In the English-dominated world people tend to forget the
importance of e.g. special characters, as they don't deal with this
issue everyday (so I can't blame them). I have found people in the Dutch
educational market that are willing to give Squeak a chance in schools.
But in this market language localization is a prerequisite.
But the same issue of language is probably going to form a barrier for
me participating in a German or French Squeak community, as my German is
very basic and my French non-existent. I guess this applies to more
Europeans. Language keeps deviding Europe! I doubt if currently there
are enough European Squeakers to justify a per country approach to a
community initiative (thought I do hope I'm wrong!). So i would strongly
advocate for one multinational community, otherwise we won't reach the
critical mass. As a consequence, the language used should be English. Of
course I would personally prefer good old Dutch, but I'm willing to
sacrifice that to gain a stronger European Squeak movement.

Rudi Angela

On dinsdag, maart 19, 2002, at 02:39 , Bergel Alexandre wrote:

>> So we (squea-ev) will work on setting this up here in .de, Hannes has
>> started thinking about a swiss organisation.
>
> I will really try to set up one in France. I know in Germany there is
> some constraints as taxes or others. In France non-profit organisation
> are free of that.
>
> More to come...
>
> Regards,
> Alexandre
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:17:50PM +0100, Marcus Denker wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Here a short summary of the discussion in english:
>>
>> After my Announcement of our intend to form a german non-profit
>> organization to help squeak development, Hannes raised the Question
>> if it wouldn't be better to set up an european organisation.
>>
>> Cees pointed out that having a german orgnasisation wouldn't
>> make a european one impossible, but should be even thought of as
>> a first step in that direction (bottom up approach).
>>
>> We discussed this at the Bern SqueakNIC, and we came to the conclusion
>> that "bottom up" is really the way to go: Setting up local Squeak
>> organsisations that work together.
>>
>> So we (squea-ev) will work on setting this up here in .de, Hannes has
>> started thinking about a swiss organisation.
>>
>>       Marcus
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:16:26PM +0100, Cees de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> Zusammenfassung: ich schliesse mich Hannes an, wobei ich fuer 'bottom
>>> up'
>>> waehle (also Squeak e.V. fuer Deutschland gruenden aber darauf achten