[Squeak-ev] Re: [m17n] Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sam Aug 9 18:32:52 UTC 2003

  Michael,

> >>- When I switch to Spanish, I can't type Spanish letters (like Ñ, ñ, á, é,
> >>í, ó and ú).  But I can when I switch to German, any tip?
> >
> >   We need to create a class called Spanish, which can be just a copy
> > of German.  The reasoning is that we are going to want to have
> > language dependent case-insensitive string match functions and those
> > LanguageEnvironments implements such language dependent stuff.
>
> I finally had some time to take a closer look at the m17n
> implementation. Do we really need classes for some of the language
> stuff? My impression is that most of the conversion etc could be table
> driven?

  Hmm.  Let's keep those.  Various language specific methods can be there.

  We can use them as a Factory of translation dictionaries.
#primaryLanguage: and #setNaturalLanguageTo: may do some double
dispatch kind of thing based with the language argument, etc.

  If you say that they should be used more than now, yes.

-- Yoshiki