[Squeak-fr] Fwd: [ANN][ENH] Skins II - preliminary release of a port of my old skins code to Squeak 3.4/5b/6a

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mar 8 Avr 23:11:43 CEST 2003

Cette personne a des extensions bien sympathiques pour Squeak.

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Stephan B.Wessels" <swessels at one.net>
> Date: Mon Apr 7, 2003  2:01:16 PM Europe/Zurich
> Subject: [ANN][ENH] Skins II - preliminary release of a port of my old
> skins code to Squeak 3.4/5b/6a
> <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> In early February someone wrote me asking if I was ever going to
> migrate my old Skins project from Squeak version 2.8 to something
> useable by Squeak 3.4.  With a few good weekends recently available, I
> completed a port.  It's actually a rewrite.
>
> The work is published to SqueakMap and my own personal web page.
> See http://w3.one.net/~swessels/pages/steve/squeak/index.html
>
> I also published on the Squeak Swiki over the weekend.
> See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1797
>
> Both the Swiki and my home page contain details on the goals of the
> project.  The primary change set contains a detailed edit history of
> what's completed.  It's fairly functional now and I use it everyday.
>
> The basic idea is that I didn't want to "port" the actual themes but
> instead write a tool that would import standard open source themes
> written by countless theme authors.  For the first pass at this I
> chose the IceWM themes available for Unix.  See
> http://themes.freshmeat.net and look for IceWM themes.
>
> The second key objective is that I didn't want to write skin-specific
> code in any of the tools or application classes in Squeak.  The skins
> framework swaps out morphs and replaces them with the ones required to
> support the theme.
>
> And the final objective was that the user could change back to
> non-skinned windows.  I wanted an enhancement that could live
> along-side standard Squeak windows and be applied as desired.
>
> To install the skins II stuff, you need to download a total of 4
> change sets, and some IceWM themes.  Those details are documented in
> the Swiki and on my Squeak enhancements page.
>
> There are some tweaks I am working on.  I currently have full text
> colors, selection color and insertion point color as defined by the
> theme, working.  I've attached a link to a picture.
> http://w3.one.net/~swessels/pages/steve/squeak/images/latest-skin-
> example.gif
>
> An obvious next step (no pun intended) is to add an importer for
> another open source theme family and refactor the framework as
> required.
>
>  - Steve
>
> --
> Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival.
>   - W. Edwards Deming

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html