[SqueakDBX] Re: Running the tests on Squeak 3.8.2 and MySQL 4 more guidance needed.

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:31:32 UTC 2009

2009/10/10 Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net>

> Mariano,
>
> I think I need some help in this matter.

Ok, let's try to fix it.

> HK> As to keep it manageable I'll factor the String
> HK> 'INSERT INTO signature(code, name, observations, id_student)
> HK>  VALUES (11, ''Something'', ''Nothing'', 2)'
> HK> into a method in DBXBackendFacility and overwrite it in
> HK> DBXMySQL4Facility.
>
> MMP> I would like not to tauch DBXBackendFacility or other
> MMP> things of the core. Is it possible it to be only in
> MMP> MMP> DBXMySQL4Facility ?

I think I am not understanding. What I need an example. What I suggest you
is you send me your changeset so that I can see it and try to run it in
different backends.

> I have to touch all these messages in the png.

The options I see:
> - Changing all these strings to use double quotes around "Something"
>  and "Nothing" and hope that in SQL '' and "" are interchangeable for
>  all platforms.

That's why I didn't want to touch everything. I don't want to break others
backends.

> - Changing these Strings only after a check for the Class of the
>  faciility
> - Instead of using String literals return the Strings by a method.
>  This method could reside in DBXBaseTest and do something like:
>  facility class = DBXMySQL4Facility ifTrue: [....] ifFalse: [...]
>  Or this method resides in DBXBackendFacility and uses polymorhism to
>  return the appropriate string.

In those options I like the last one, the one of polymorhism. However, as I
told you, send me the changeset so that I can test it here.

Even better, what would be fantastic is you do a new test that just tests
that. So, you send me that test and I just run it for all backends on all
OS.
What do you think about this? It is easy and helpful.

> Happy for any other suggestion you make and I will follow your
> suggestion as it is my goal to have MySQL4 and tests included into
> SqueakDBX.

Yeah. Me too. The goal is to have all the tests running in all backends and
OS.

> Actually I don't understand (meaning I want to be educated about) your
> objection. In my view it will be a simple getter and IMO it's a
> natural function for DBXBackendFacility to provide different SQL
> strings for different backends.

Come on!!! I am still an Smalltalk newbie :)   Don't be afraid, just ask,
advice or whatever.

I think that's is a nice solution. But I would like to be sure that you
changes don't work with others backends. Because perhaps they work and we
are doing all of this without sense.

> But then I'm no IT person but an electronic engineer so maybe it's
> just a lack of understanding on my side.

no :)