[SqueakDBX] Problems at first go on SqueakDBX

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 16:51:37 UTC 2009

2009/9/26 Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net>

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying something maybe non standard.
> I use Squeak 3.8.2  and MySQL 4.0.15.

Yeah hahaha. As we talked at ESUG, SqueakDBX was not ever tested with Squeak
3.8.2. And we never tested in MySQL 4, but 5.  But I will try to help you. I
am glad you are giving SqueakDBX a try.

> After installing opendbx 1.4.3 in the Squeak folder and installing
> OpenDBX-Core-Mariano.230.mcz I started with the connection example.
>
> I verified that the following settings work with the native mySQL
> driver for Squeak. So:
>
> connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
>             host: 'ALDI_1'
>             port: '3306'
>             database: 'Pruefzeiten'
>             userName: 'readonly'
>             userPassword: '****'.
>
> conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXMySQLPlatform new settings:
> connectionSettings.
>
> conn connect.

This is wrong. You must do a open first. So, you can do conn open. conn
connect. Or use directly conn connectAndOpen.
Read here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6067

> Here (in connect) I first got an error indicating that
> libmysqlbackend.dll could not be found. (err1.png).

I think you are referring to libmysql.dll here, not libmysqlbackend.dll

> Trying the dlls
> Mariano sent to this list on September 21st didn't change anything.

So I renamed libmysqlbackend-1.dll to libmysqlbackend.dll and retried.

This is weird. libmysqlbackend-1.dll should work. Which Windows are you
using ? I will try to reproduce it.
But I have libmysqlbackend-1.dll and everything works ok.

> This time a Squeak debugger popped up, see debug1.png and continuing
> this debugger gave conn a handle which was not nil.

This means that opendbx dll cannot find the libmysqlbackend dll
They must be findable by the OS
What I would do is to let  libmysqlbackend-1.dll AND libmysqlbackend.dll  in
a place where it is findable, not only by Squeak but also for the OS.
Because squeak will find opendbx dll but then, this dll will find the
libmysqlbackend

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6099

> Another suspect might be the authentication method as I believe
> authentication between mySQL 4 and 5 changed.

I will ask Norbert (OpenDBX author) to see if he knows something about this.

> If it weren't for the first error with the dll's name I'd say my
> Squeak and my mySQL are just too old. As they represent a big
> investment chances to update any of those are very small.
>
> So do you see a chance to get this configuration work?

Yes. We will investigate and work together. No panic :)

> First thing is
> to verify the proper dlls are loaded.

Yes. Now I want to understand: You must have:

- libmysqlbackend-1.dll AND libmysqlbackend.dll
- libopendbx-1.dll
- MySQL client libraries  (in my case: C:\MySQL\bin\ )

All of them must be findable by the OS: I won't tell you to put it in
c:/windows/system32 or in $PATH, but do something :)

Enable logging.

So, after having all of that, what happens if you evaluate:

connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
            host: 'ALDI_1'
            port: '3306'
            database: 'Pruefzeiten'
            userName: 'readonly'
            userPassword: '****'.

conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXMySQLPlatform new settings:
connectionSettings.

conn connect.
conn open.

debug2.png ???

> Then I'd like to see what is
> sent to the database and what mySQL returns.

We can do this in a further step. As you said, lets configure the dlls
first.

> Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Mariano