Fwd: [SqueakDBX] Problems

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 07:09:08 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [SqueakDBX] Problems
To: Guillermo Polito <guillermopolito at gmail.com>

Hi Guillermo,

Since I'm doing lots of stuff using Smalltalk and a plethora of databases,
I'd be willing to help you guys with SqueakDBX & Glorp.

I'm mostly working on Windows now (WinXP) but I have SQL Server, MS-Access,
SQLite, Firebird, MySQL, InterBase & PostgreSQL database servers currently
installed and running.  I can also test Oracle & DB/2 if needed, all this on
Windows of course.

If you need to test ports of SqueakDBX, I have many versions of Squeak,
Pharo and VisualWorks installed as well as Dolphin, ObjectStudio &
VisualAge.  Even an old VSE environment that I sometimes fire up to soothe
my nostalgic side!  :)

Anyhow, I've been working exclusively with Smalltalk for the last 20 years
and used to be working with Glorp's parent, TOPLink.  As a matter of fact,
my current employer is still using TOPLink with VisualAge & VisualWorks.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

P.S.  I have been thinking, for a long time, about creating a *real-world*
database model to seriously test database-related Smalltalk
projects/packages/apps. I've always had the impression that testing against
a 1000 records table ain't telling you much about how the
app/package/project will behave in reality.  I could create a real
"benchmark" that could be used across multiple databases in not much time if
needed.

In fact, most of the stuff I do (I'm working on my own OO-RDBMS mapping
framework) is tested against millions of records because I've decided,
upfront, that I would not put performance aside at the start.  My framework
ain't as "intelligent" and transparent as Glorp but it's fast, simple and
lightweight.  And I know how it will behave when faced with millions of
records, with queries using 5-6 LEFT JOINs, subqueries, etc.

I think SqueakDBX & Glorp would benefit being "debugged" against some "real
world" data & volume if we ever consider using those tools in a work
environment and get passed the "hobby" project.

What do you think?

See my favorite headache these days...  :)

http://myfavoriteheadache.wordpress.com/

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)