[Squeakfoundation]Chaordic Purpose

Dwight Hughes squeakfoundation@lists.cdegroot.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:36:54 -0500

At 01:56 AM 04/27/2001, Cees de Groot wrote:

>pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com said:
> > So, then basically the Squeak Foundation purpose is about promoting
> > Squeak and supporting processes the develop it for maximum value for
> > various user communities?
>
>[Trying to steer discussion back to the purpose] Yes. Re-reading Dwight's
>proposal, it has a lot of means and isn't too clear about the purpose. Yours:

In my defense, I was outlining what I thought SqF should *do* to make
itself useful - not what its ultimate goals should be. I will have a
contribution on that sort of thing (and hopefully more) this evening.

> > "To assist the evolution of a individual and group empowering
> > transparent open-source ubiquitous computing platform starting from
> > the initial Squeak code base"
>
>comes closer to a purpose but I have problems reading it - everything between
>"individual" and "computing" is one big adjective to "platform", and that
>strings consist of a number of words heavily contaminated by marketing guys.
>But I like the one-sentence formulation. Am I the only one having problems
>with the words "empowering", "transparent", "ubiquitous" appearing in one
>sentence? Is there an alternative that's as open-ended?

My BS alarm sounds like a KISS concert when I read a sentence like that.

How about this instead: "To assist in the evolution of Squeak into its
ultimate expression as an exquisite personal computing environment that is
open, well supported, and freely available across the great majority of
platforms and operating systems."

I borrowed the phrase "exquisite personal computing environment" from Dan
Ingalls.

-- Dwight