[Squeakfoundation]Nudge, nudge!

Raab, Andreas squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu, 10 May 2001 23:41:12 -0700

Cees wrote:
> However, it seems that there's not much interest in this
> process.
[...]
> I think the results will be much better if we, as a community,
> do this.

I agree but you do have to keep in mind that not the entire Squeak community
is represented on this list. The people on this list are (the few?!) which
either noticed your message on the Squeak mailing list (I did not) or found
it by explicitly asking somebody (I asked Dan when he mentioned it). So, for
getting more involvement from the entire community, I would suggest to:

* Make another announcement to the Squeak mailing list, explicitly inviting
people to join this mailing list for discussing SqF issues (maybe this could
come from Dan to give it more visibility)

* Explicitly invite some people (like Dave Thomas; any others?!) who have
shown interest in building an SqF but are unlikely to follow the Squeak
mailing list due to its heavy traffic

* Post regular (weekly/monthly) progress reports to the Squeak mailing list

I consider the latter to be very important - even if such a progress report
just says "we're stalling" it's still important for people to know. And
reporting about progress will help avoid the Stable Squeak mistake of being
some mystical secret society where (except from a few initiated) nobody
knows what's going on.

Do we have any voluntears (ouch! the Disney background :-) for summarizing
the current state of discussions?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas