[Squeakfoundation]Concrete SqF projects

Paul Fernhout squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 26 May 2001 03:35:27 -0400

> With respect to complexity, I think the key issue is
> to understand that
> we're mainly talking about an organizational issue here.

You have a very good point here. There are social dynamics in our
society. There may well be social value with having a formal legally
organized organization associated with a community otherwise informally
doing things.

However, I, for one, don't think the Squeak community itself is in any
way broken or in need of fixing. I'm not sure yet it really needs a
formal organization. I do think it could benefit from a Business Squeak
to cater to a new subclass of users, but that's another matter. I also
think that as a consequence of Squeak's success, the needs within the
Squeak community and needs within SqueakC are diverging enough (with
regards to community scale complexity management vs. individual
empowerment) that something has to change, and I think something will
change one way or another. I myself believe it likely that a Squeak
better able to manage community scale coding complexity would reduce the
need for a formal SqF. I accept that we have different perspectives on
this at the moment.

I'd rather change Squeak itself before I tinkered with how the Squeak
community works, given the way the list has already self-organized. (And
that was one of my concerns about moving this discussion to a separate
list.)

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com