[Squeakfoundation]Coordinating with the chaordic alliance

Paul Fernhout squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun, 27 May 2001 17:04:22 -0400

=== coordinating with the chaordic alliance ===

With a community focus for a "Squeak Community Foundation", we could
also approach the Chaordic Alliance and Dee Hock
  http://www.chaordic.org/
for some organizational process help (or even fundraising advice). We
might also exchange help -- perhaps making a Squeak application useful
as an open chaordic IT infrastructure for their Terra Civitas Chaordic
Commons.
  http://www.chaordic.org/commons.html

A closer relationship with them might mean they could also extend their
501(c)(3) status to act as a tax-exempt financial sponsor
  http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/bus_info/eo/index.html
to get things rolling until the Squeak Community Foundation got its own
exemption. There are other organizations that could do this, some of
which have been mentioned before on this list. (A good choice I have
talked to for other reasons is Tides around San Francisco, CA).
  http://www.tides.org/center/index.cfm
However, the Chaordic Alliance might be a great choice if the foundation
is supporting a chaordic Squeak community.

Note that for companies, which can deduct some contributions to
organizations as a business expense (depending on the situation), being
tax exempt may not be a big thing for encouraging donations. However, to
encourage larger contributions from foundations or individuals, tax
exempt status would help.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com